michellereed9026040

Book Hangovers

I put down the bottle and picked up a book. Reading saved my life! I went from booze hangovers to book hangovers and I am the happiest I've ever been!

A little piece of Magic

The Rope Trick - Lloyd Alexander

3 1/2 Stars!!

I found this book on the very top shelf, in a corner, covered in about half an inch of dust, in an old book store down the street from me. It being very neglected with such a beautiful cover mad me sad. So I dusted it off, bought it and brought it home with me. So glad I did.

This is a book I will happily pass on to my daughters.

Although I like this book very much, it's a bit disappointing on how rushed it is. I fell in love with the characters and I feel like they deserved a bit more development in the story and in the characters themselves. There's a quest, people meeting people, a kidnapping, a magic trick, and an ending. Oh, there's a love story somewhere in the mix too, but that, as well as everything else, just wasn't developed well enough.

Other than that, Alexander was amazing at how he described things. He did a fascinating job at making me feel at times that I was right there in the audience, in awe of Lidi, the MC's, astonishing illusions and tricks.
This was a sweet, whimsical and funny short story. I'm really happy to have found this little piece of magic!

(It would have gotten 4 stars if it wasn't so rushed)

(a quote I liked from the story: "People had to mine the tin, melt it down, and hammer out that pot you're kicking around. There's a bit of their lives in it. You might show a little respect."